When the batteries of my wireless mouse gave up, I tried seeing if rechargable batteries would work. I put them in, and the red light produced by the laser was visible. But it wasn’t talking with my computer. I tried re-connecting many times, under both Windows and Linux, but it didn’t work.
The next day, I noticed that the light from the laser wasn’t working any more, and therefore the rechargeable batteries had been drained. If the batteries could only last a day, they mustn’t be suitable for mice. So I put some standard batteries into the mice, and both the laser and the communication with the computer worked.
It isn’t always a software problem – sometimes it’s a lot simpler!